Can axonal injuries be fatal?

Diffuse axonal injuries can be fatal. A diffuse axonal injury can cause swelling in the brain, which can create pressure in the brain cavity. This pressure may lead to a coma. Patients regaining consciousness in the first week of their coma are most likely to recover.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...