Why are brains vulnerable to the oxygen loss in anoxic brain injuries?

Brain cells are so sensitive to oxygen deprivation that they can start to die within five minutes. One reason that the brain is so vulnerable to the oxygen deprivation that leads to anoxic brain injuries is because the brain consumes so much oxygen. In fact, the brain uses a disproportionate amount of oxygen compared to the rest of the body. Approximately a fifth of the total supply of oxygen that the body uses is used by the brain.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...