Why are brains vulnerable to the oxygen loss in anoxic brain injuries?

Brain cells are so sensitive to oxygen deprivation that they can start to die within five minutes. One reason that the brain is so vulnerable to the oxygen deprivation that leads to anoxic brain injuries is because the brain consumes so much oxygen. In fact, the brain uses a disproportionate amount of oxygen compared to the rest of the body. Approximately a fifth of the total supply of oxygen that the body uses is used by the brain.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...