What are the symptoms of anorexia nervosa?

Aggie Read, RN
Nursing

Some of the early signs of anorexia nervosa are:

• perfectionism, striving for control
  • a preoccupation with weight 
  • an obsessive increase in activity or exercise
  • a drastic reduction in food and drink
  • an unusual focus on food, recipes, or preparing food for others 

Over time, this can lead to extreme weight loss, social isolation, and denial of the problem. As the malnourishment progresses, all body systems are affected. In addition to the weight loss, some of the ongoing signs of anorexia nervosa are:

• skin becomes pale and less elastic
  • loss of muscle tone
  • fatigue
  • hair loss 
  • loss of tooth enamel
  • heart problems
  • loss of regular menstrual cycle

Anorexia nervosa is a severe, life-threatening eating disorder. Sufferers are at least 15 percent below normal weight, are terrified of gaining an ounce, and obsess about their body shape and size. Other symptoms can include:

• Missed periods
  • Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Lack of interest in school, friends, or activities
  • Preoccupation with food (preparing it, counting calories, but not eating it)
  • Secretive, self-induced vomiting (including use of syrup of ipecac)
  • Laxative use
  • Excessive exercising
  • Anxiety at mealtimes
  • Anemia
  • Insomnia

One in ten people who battle anorexia die from severe weight loss, a weakened heart, or suicide. Survivors may suffer bone loss, infertility, and many other serious consequences.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
People with anorexia may:
  • Eat tiny portions, refuse to eat or deny they are hungry
  • Show abnormal weight loss - as much as 15 percent or more of their body weight
  • Be hyperactive, depressed, moody or insecure
  • Exercise excessively and compulsively.
Symptoms of anorexia nervosa can include:
  • distorted body image and intense, persistent fear of gaining weight
  • excessive weight loss
  • menstrual irregularities
  • excessive body/facial hair
  • compulsive exercise

Continue Learning about Anorexia Nervosa

what can i do if someone i know is showing signs of anorexia ?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If someone you know is showing signs of anorexia, you may be able to help.Set a time to talk. Set as...
how can a person change their thinking to improve anorexia ?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Anywhere that life hurts we have locked ourselves into some kind of false identification, telling ou...
when should i call my doctor if i have anorexia nervosa ?
If you have anorexia nervosa and you are concerned about when to call your doctor, you may already b...
what is anorexia nervosa ?
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder marked by an intense fear of gaining weight, a refusal to mai...