What is anger management therapy?

Betty Davis, LPC, NCC
Mental Health

Anger Management contains a series of techniques that a person can apply to their own anger in order to manage and control the anger into a more acceptable expression.

The goal of Anger Management is to help you control and reduce your emotional feelings and the physical sensations and triggers that accompany anger. It is important to remember that you cannot always avoid the events of people that enrage you, nor can you change them, but you can learn to control your reactions and respond rather than react to these people and events in harmful ways. You can learn to deal with your anger so that you can express your angry feelings in far more acceptable and less destructive and less violent forms.

Robert Rozsay
Addiction Medicine
Anger managament therapy is a place where a person learns and practices how to respond to angry feelings in a healthy, constructive manner. 
Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

Anger Management is the work one does to develop healthy methods of expressing anger. Learning such skills should have the dual impact of helping you to identify, name, and manage the psychosocial stressors that are most prevalent in your life. Such recognition will insure that you know what response to employ in a variety of situations thereby diminishing the likelihood of your losing control. Anger management should also teach what is known as Emotional Intelligence, which is the process of learning to stop and consider what you are going to say, and how it will affect him or her with whom you are speaking. This tool will go a long way to managing anger in your life, as well as serve in sustaining long term relations with your peers and loved ones.

Arlene Feuerberg-Isaacs
There are many kinds of anger mangement therapy.  It can be group or individual therapy. The most effective anger management therapy is individualzed  Every person is different, and there is no "one size fits all" therapy that can be effective.  A skilled psychotherapist will help an individual with an anger problem to learn how past experiences and unconscious memories of certain emotionally painful experiences earlier in life are related to the current experiences that act as triggers for angry behavior.

The best results will be achieved when the person with the anger management problem seeks assistance on his/her own initiative.  When anger management therapy is imposed it seldom is effective.

People who show violent tendencies such as aggressive drivers, criminals and bullies may be court-ordered to attend anger management therapy.

This kind of therapy focuses on identifying anger triggers, in expressing anger without losing control and in learning relaxation methods. It can be individual or group therapy. It also can be expensive. If you are seeking professional help, you may want to start by going to the American Association of Anger Management Providers for information.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

The Top 10 Angriest Cities in 2017
The Top 10 Angriest Cities in 2017
Could where you live be affecting your mental health? It’s possible. We used RealAge, our scientifically-backed test that analyzes your health history...
How can I teach my child healthy anger management skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you want your kid to handle anger more appropriately then you must teach her a new behavior t...
What is intermittent explosive disorder?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Intermittent explosive disorder is when anger appears to come out of nowhere, followed by an outburs...
How Can I Manage My Anger?
How Can I Manage My Anger?