How do I let go of resentment?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Realize that there is no such thing as a missed opportunity. "I should have done that" and "If only I had said that" bring to mind all our failures, big and small.

Resentment wastes energy, yet it lingers seductively because it always comes with a ready-made target. The alternative is to look inward, mourn what might have been, take responsibility, and move on. Your soul sees no missed opportunities. In reality every road you traveled offered up an experience as a gift, and as the complex fabric of life wove itself, each experience added to your growth. In the deepest sense your life has been a string of opportunities that you met successfully.

Affirm today that there is nothing and no one to resent. For every small desire that didn't come true, your soul has widened the way for fulfilling your highest aspirations.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

How Pent Up Anger Can Actually Shorten Your Life
Anger is not a pleasant emotion. It can eat away at you over time, or it can explode all at once, blinding you to the feelings of others—it can make y...
How can I calm down when I'm angry?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
The best way to calm down when you are angry is to move the blood in your brain from the emotional c...
Can an anger management program reduce my risk of heart disease?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
An analysis of 50 studies that included almost 2,000 volunteers found that anger management prog...
How Can I Prevent Road Rage?
How Can I Prevent Road Rage?