How can I change the way I respond to anger?

You can change the way you respond to anger by adopting a healthier lifestyle, and finding relaxing activities that can help manage your anger when it comes on. Watch psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, share some tips for healthier behavior.
Your response to anger can change if you:
  • recognize your anger is a problem
  • explore ways to change your response to anger
  • practice the skills you've learned
How long does it take to change your response to anger? Some experts say that to move from being a very angry person to a moderately angry person takes about ten weeks. So be patient with yourself. It is also important to remember that you may find yourself going back to your old ways of handling anger at times. If that happens, revisit your anger goals and reaffirm your commitment to reaching them.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Anger Management

The Top 10 Angriest Cities in 2017
The Top 10 Angriest Cities in 2017
Could where you live be affecting your mental health? It’s possible. We used RealAge, our scientifically-backed test that analyzes your health history...
Are there alternative treatments for anger control problems?
There are steps you can take to control your anger. Practicing relaxation techniques is one method. ...
How can I reduce outbursts of anger in my kids?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Use these six steps to guide you in reducing inappropriate anger in your kid and teach healthier...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?