How can I change the way I respond to anger?

You can change the way you respond to anger by adopting a healthier lifestyle, and finding relaxing activities that can help manage your anger when it comes on. Watch psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, share some tips for healthier behavior.
Your response to anger can change if you:
  • recognize your anger is a problem
  • explore ways to change your response to anger
  • practice the skills you've learned
How long does it take to change your response to anger? Some experts say that to move from being a very angry person to a moderately angry person takes about ten weeks. So be patient with yourself. It is also important to remember that you may find yourself going back to your old ways of handling anger at times. If that happens, revisit your anger goals and reaffirm your commitment to reaching them.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Anger Management

What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
The funny thing about your heart not being in your job is that your job finds a way to affect your heart anyway. When researchers looked at men who fe...
How can I reduce anger?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Here are eight tips to help you reduce anger.  1. Learn your anger triggers. We all have triggers ...
What are the stages of anger?
Anger builds in stages. By understanding the progression of your anger, you can learn to quickly ide...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?