How can I calm down when I'm angry?

We all have different ideas about what is relaxing. One person might think of a beach, a park, a cell phone, and an ice skating rink; another might picture a fishing rod, a book, a pair of running shoes, and an iPod. Using old magazines or newspapers, find images that represent your idea of relaxation. On a separate piece of paper, make a collage of these images. Put your collage in your room as a reminder of ways to relax when you're angry.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...
Julie Holland, MD
Neurology
The best way to calm down when you are angry is to move the blood in your brain from the emotional center to the rational center. In this video, psychiatrist Julie Holland, MD, shares some helpful strategies for calming down and being less angry.

Continue Learning about Anger Management

How Pent Up Anger Can Actually Shorten Your Life
Anger is not a pleasant emotion. It can eat away at you over time, or it can explode all at once, blinding you to the feelings of others—it can make y...
What is intermittent explosive disorder?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Intermittent explosive disorder is when anger appears to come out of nowhere, followed by an outburs...
What are the physical effects of anger?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
People have different physical responses to anger, but some of them may include teeth grinding, flus...
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?