As a teen, how can I calm down when I'm angry?

When you are angry, choosing an activity that helps you calm down will keep your anger from getting the best of you when you're a teen.

Here is a list of ideas:
  • Talk to someone.
  • Take a time-out.
  • Text a friend.
  • Pound on a pillow.
  • Play an instrument.
  • Listen to relaxing music.
  • Go for a bike ride.
  • Play basketball.
  • Read a book.
  • Draw.
  • Write in a journal.
Think about situations that often make you angry. When these situations arise, think about how you can chill out instead of exploding.

Using old magazines and newspapers, cut out pictures that remind you of your favorite ways to chill out. For example, if swimming helps you chill out, you might add a picture of a swimmer or a lake. Paste the pictures on a blank piece of paper or cardboard. Put your chill-out poster where you are most likely to find it helpful—perhaps in a notebook, on your desk, or in your locker.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Anger Management

A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
A Flash of Red Can Sharpen Focus
When you need to make a tough decision, just think about the last time you were angry. Sounds counterintuitive, but a little anger can actually help ...
How do I manage my emotional trauma?
There are several strategies you can employ to help manage your emotional trauma alongside any treat...
How do I control my anger on a daily basis?
Developing, practicing, and using healthy coping techniques will assist you in managing and controll...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?