As a teen, how can I calm down when I'm angry?

When you are angry, choosing an activity that helps you calm down will keep your anger from getting the best of you when you're a teen.

Here is a list of ideas:
  • Talk to someone.
  • Take a time-out.
  • Text a friend.
  • Pound on a pillow.
  • Play an instrument.
  • Listen to relaxing music.
  • Go for a bike ride.
  • Play basketball.
  • Read a book.
  • Draw.
  • Write in a journal.
Think about situations that often make you angry. When these situations arise, think about how you can chill out instead of exploding.

Using old magazines and newspapers, cut out pictures that remind you of your favorite ways to chill out. For example, if swimming helps you chill out, you might add a picture of a swimmer or a lake. Paste the pictures on a blank piece of paper or cardboard. Put your chill-out poster where you are most likely to find it helpful—perhaps in a notebook, on your desk, or in your locker.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Anger Management

How Pent Up Anger Can Actually Shorten Your Life
Anger is not a pleasant emotion. It can eat away at you over time, or it can explode all at once, blinding you to the feelings of others—it can make y...
How can I help my child manage anger before an outburst?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are steps to guide you in managing inappropriate anger in your child before an outburst and tea...
What is anger control?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Anger control is a way to help you get back into the driver’s seat of your life. It’s a way to manag...
What Is Intermittent Explosive Disorder?