As a teen, how can I calm down when I'm angry?

When you are angry, choosing an activity that helps you calm down will keep your anger from getting the best of you when you're a teen.

Here is a list of ideas:
  • Talk to someone.
  • Take a time-out.
  • Text a friend.
  • Pound on a pillow.
  • Play an instrument.
  • Listen to relaxing music.
  • Go for a bike ride.
  • Play basketball.
  • Read a book.
  • Draw.
  • Write in a journal.
Think about situations that often make you angry. When these situations arise, think about how you can chill out instead of exploding.

Using old magazines and newspapers, cut out pictures that remind you of your favorite ways to chill out. For example, if swimming helps you chill out, you might add a picture of a swimmer or a lake. Paste the pictures on a blank piece of paper or cardboard. Put your chill-out poster where you are most likely to find it helpful—perhaps in a notebook, on your desk, or in your locker.
The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help)

Do you often find yourself in trouble because of anger? Do you react to situations and later regret how you behaved? Does your anger cause problems with other people? Are you tired of letting anger...

Continue Learning about Anger Management

What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
What Your Job Can Do to Your Heart
The funny thing about your heart not being in your job is that your job finds a way to affect your heart anyway. When researchers looked at men who fe...
How can I teach my child healthy anger management skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you want your kid to handle anger more appropriately then you must teach her a new behavior t...
How can journaling help me cope with anger?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Journaling is a great way to help you cope with your anger. You can make a habit of writing down you...
What Are the Symptoms of an Anger Control Problem?