When should I call my doctor after an endovascular aneurysm repair?

Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any of these symptoms after an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting"):
  • unexplained fever over 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit
  • coldness or numbness in the arm or leg where the catheter was inserted
  • bleeding or severe pain at the catheter site
  • bruising, redness, swelling, or pain that gets worse
Call your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms:
  • chest pain
  • a swelling in your abdomen that "pulses"
  • a sudden, severe weakness, coldness, or numbness in one leg or foot, or discoloration in a foot or toe
Call 911 right away if you have any signs that an aortic aneurysm has burst:
  • sudden, intense pain in your abdomen or back
  • a rapid drop in blood pressure
  • signs of shock -- such as cold and clammy skin, rapid breathing, anxiety, pale skin color, or unconsciousness

Continue Learning about Aneurysms


Aneurysms form balloons in weakened arteries of our bodies, potentially causing life-threatening problems such as a stroke. Although aneurysms can form in any weakened artery, they commonly occur in the arteries of the brain and i...

n the aorta, the central artery that extends from your heart through the center of your abdomen and chest. Certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, can weaken the arteries, which deliver oxygenated blood from our heart to the rest of our bodies. The pressure of blood traveling through the arteries can lead to this balloon-like bulge. You can have an aneurysm for years without symptoms or problems. Others can have an aneurysm that pops, which can lead to a stroke if bleeding occurs in the brain. Ruptured aneurysms must be treated quickly, usually within minutes, or it can become deadly: about 50% of all ruptured aneurysms are fatal.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.