What is thoraco-abdominal aneurysm repair?

Aneurysms that affect the portion of the aorta above the kidneys into the chest are called thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms. To repair an aneurysm in this portion of the aorta, vascular or cardiovascular surgeons make an incision in the chest and sometimes the abdomen, clamp the aorta to temporarily stop blood flow, then open the aneurysm and sew in a graft to replace the affected vessel walls. Blood vessels to the left arm, spinal cord, bowels and kidney can be connected to the graft as necessary. This is major surgery but is the only option and can be life-saving. Blood flow is contained inside the graft alleviating pressure on the weakened walls of the aneurysm and allowing normal blood flow to the legs and other organs.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How does diabetes affect my risk for aneurysms?
Dr. David W. Drucker, MDDr. David W. Drucker, MD
People with diabetes have a very high risk for developing vascular disease. Because of this, healthc...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
What are my chances of dying if my aneurysm ruptures?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If your aneurysm ruptures, the outcome could be lethal. If you make it to a hospital in time, your c...