What are the symptoms of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)?

Abdominal aortic aneurysms almost never have any symptoms. In some cases, patients have reported symptoms such as chest or jaw pain, which are similar to symptoms of a heart attack. Other signs could be sudden stabbing, radiating pain, fainting, or difficulty breathing.

Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Vascular Surgeon

Some patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) have no symptoms at all and the condition is discovered as a secondary result from testing. In this video, Joshua Greenberg, MD, of Mercy Health, explains that symptoms may occur after a rupture.

Everyone over the age of 65 should get an ultrasound of their abdomens to detect any abdominal aortic aneurysms, which sometimes don't present any symptoms at all.

If you have an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA):

• You may have no symptoms at all.
  • You may feel pain in the middle or lower part of the left side of your abdomen. This pain may come and go or be felt all the time.
  • You may feel pain in your lower back.
  • You or healthcare provider may feel a mass or lump that beats (like a heartbeat) in your abdomen.

Symptoms of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) can include back, flank or abdominal pain, though oftentimes an AAA does not produce symptoms.

Often, an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) doesn't cause any symptoms. In some cases, though, it can cause a pulsing sensation in the abdomen or pain in the abdomen, chest, or back. Even if it doesn't cause symptoms, an aortic aneurysm can be very dangerous, especially if it's large or it's growing. If it ruptures (bursts), it can cause bleeding. After an aorta ruptures, so much blood is lost that death can happen within minutes.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
When should I go for a follow-up appointment after an EVAR?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting"), you need regular fol...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
How is endovascular surgery used to treat aneurysms?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Endovascular stent grafting is similar to the approach that is used for a cardiac catheterization of...