What is endovascular coiling or stenting?

Endovascular coiling (sometimes called endovascular embolization) is a medical procedure used to treat a brain aneurysm. It involves inserting a catheter into an artery, typically in the groin. The catheter is guided through the body until it reaches the brain aneurysm. Then, detachable coils are inserted in the aneurysm through the catheter, filling up the pocket, cutting off blood flow to the aneurysm, and causing the blood to clot. This surgery is usually performed on those who, because of age or other health issues, could not survive open brain surgery. Not as effective as surgical clipping, a person may need this surgery more than once in their lives.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What can I do to prevent an aortic aneurysm?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The best way to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to avoid the factors that put you at higher risk for o...
How should I prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") by doin...
How is an aneurysm diagnosed?
Life Line ScreeningLife Line Screening
Ultrasound screenings are an accurate method of identifying abdominal aortic aneurysms, also known a...