What is aortic rupture?

Mark J. Russo, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Aortic rupture is a tear through both the inner and outer walls of the aorta that can lead to severe internal bleeding. Because the aorta is so close to the heart, the pressure inside the aorta is very high so blood will be pumped through the rupture very quickly, possible also forcing the opening to enlarge. This makes aortic rupture extremely dangerous. Aortic diseases that involve weakening in the walls of the aorta, such as aortic aneurysm or aortic dissection pose a great risk of aortic rupture.
Aortic aneurysms, weakened, bulging areas in the aorta walls, can burst or rupture, causing life-threatening bleeding or hemorrhage.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If a patient has a known aneurysm and surgery is advised, the decision to delay or forego surgery in...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
How common are abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) are far more common in men than in women. About 200,000 people a ye...