What are descending thoracic aneurysms?

Descending thoracic aneurysms are those that occur above the diaphragm and may include the aortic arch. The most common causes of thoracic aneurysms are idiopathic cystic medial degeneration, atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and connective tissue disorders such as Marfan syndrome.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What is the recovery time from valve sparing aneurysm repair?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The operating takes 3-3.5 hours in total and after surgery the patient typically is in the intensive...
What is thoraco-abdominal aneurysm repair?
Aneurysms that affect the portion of the aorta above the kidneys into the chest are called thoraco-a...
How can I avoid stressing out about my aneurysm?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common to feel anxious after receiving the diagnosis of an aortic aneurysm. Let me assure you ...