What are the advantages of an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?

Mark J. Russo, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Endovascular repair is a far less invasive option than opening up the chest cavity. It involves small incisions in the groin. In addition to the cosmetic effects of a less invasive procedure, this procedure can potentially offer reduced risk, less time in the hospital and a faster recovery.
An endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") procedure:
  • relieves the pressure on an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), to greatly reduce the risk of its bursting
  • involves smaller incisions (cuts) than traditional (open) AAA repair surgery, with a faster recovery

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What are the benefits of fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair is an advancement in the management of aortic disease. In this vi...
What is an aortic aneurysm?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
An aortic aneurysm occurs when the wall of the aorta weakens. The aorta is the major vessel that car...
What is an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
An abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) is essentially a dilation of the aorta, which is the biggest bloo...