What are the advantages of an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?

Mark J. Russo, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Endovascular repair is a far less invasive option than opening up the chest cavity. It involves small incisions in the groin. In addition to the cosmetic effects of a less invasive procedure, this procedure can potentially offer reduced risk, less time in the hospital and a faster recovery.
An endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") procedure:
  • relieves the pressure on an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), to greatly reduce the risk of its bursting
  • involves smaller incisions (cuts) than traditional (open) AAA repair surgery, with a faster recovery

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How is an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) found?
Life Line ScreeningLife Line Screening
If you are thin and have a moderately large-sized abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), you or your docto...
What are the risk factors for developing an aneurysm?
Dr. David W. Drucker, MDDr. David W. Drucker, MD
One of the risk factors for aneurysms is your own family history: Aneurysms have family predominance...
What can I expect from a stent grafting procedure?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Studies are showing good results from aortic stent graft procedures well after the procedure. In thi...