Does having an aneurysm mean that an operation is necessary?

The presence of an aneurysm does not absolutely mean that an operation is necessary. It is important, though, to meet with an aortic specialist. This evaluation will outline a plan for the future. Possibilities may include careful follow-up with CT scans to assess the stability of the aneurysm's size, lifestyle modification to decrease stress and control blood pressure, and surgery.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How are aneurysms treated?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
The majority of aneurysms–70 to 80 percent–can be treated with minimally invasive techniques such as...
What happens during an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Open repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)—a bulging, weakened area in the wall of the aorta ...
How does an aneurysm change my lifestyle?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
If you have an aortic aneurysm, it's important to follow your treatment plan and have ongoing medica...