Are there alternatives to open surgery for an aortic aneurysm?

Brian G. Derubertis, MD
Vascular Surgery
There are alternatives to open surgery for aortic aneurysms for people who are not good candidates for open surgery. Medium and large aortic aneurysms often call for immediate surgical treatment.

Fenestrated endovascular procedures can be used to repair the aorta where it branches off to the kidneys. This minimally invasive surgery offers hope for people for whom open surgery is not an option. The procedure begins by preparing a custom-made endograft with holes called fenestrations. When the stent graft is positioned in the aorta, these openings allow blood to flow to the kidneys and other organs.

Hybrid surgery is beneficial in repairing complex aneurysms and aortic disease in at-risk people who don’t have other options. In this combined approach, the surgeon first restores blood flow to critical blood vessels away from an aneurysm using an open surgical procedure. Then the aortic repair is completed with a minimally invasive technique. Among other advantages, hybrid surgery can be done in stages and avoids opening the chest, both of which reduce risk to the person.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How can I reduce my risk of an aneurysm?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
If you know you’re at risk for aneurysms, you need to notify your doctor. The biggest risk factor fo...
What is the hybrid approach for aortic aneurysms?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Hybrid procedures use endovascular stenting along with open surgery to take advantage of the benefit...
What can I expect after endovascular surgery?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Most patients recover quickly from endovascular surgery—in most cases, remaining in the hospital for...