What is the most important information I should know about Naropin?

Naropin may cause you to feel numbness outside of the intended area. Because naropin is injected into your spine, you risk suffering lasting nerve damage, with negative effects on sexual function, bowel or bladder control and movement or feeling in your legs or feet.

Taking this drug may also result in a dangerous allergic reaction. People with heart disease, liver disease or kidney disease may develop complications in greater numbers than other people.

Naropin is not approved for use in intra-articular infusion following arthroscopic surgeries. Chondrolysis (usually in the shoulder of children and adults) has been found in in patients receiving such infusions. Symptoms of chondrolysis may appear about two months following the surgery and include joint pain, stiffness and loss of motion. Since there is no cure or treatment for chondrolysis, those affected have to go through extensive procedures and sometimes more surgery.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
When is the developing brain most vulnerable to anesthetics?
"The greatest vulnerability of the developing brain to anesthetics occurs at the time of rapid synap...