What is lidocaine and epinephrine?

Lidocaine and epinephrine is a type of local anesthetic that causes numbness and loss of feeling. It is used during medical procedures or as a home relief for mild skin discomfort. This anesthetic is available by prescription only and comes in the form of injections and skin patches. Lidocaine and epinephrine work by deadening nerves in the skin; because nerve endings cannot work properly and send messages of pain, you do not feel discomfort. Medical procedures that involve the skin or tissues will require the intense numbing strength of lidocaine and the long-lasting effects of epinephrine, which will be administered by a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
How can doctors measure consciousness during general anesthesia?
An active brain during general anesthesia is particularly difficult to monitor. Doctors might suspec...
What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...