Who should not use topical anesthetics?

If you are allergic to anything found in the medication, do not use the topical treatment. Children and elderly patients can use topical anesthetics, but only under close supervision as they may react negatively to the medication. Certain medical conditions and medications may increase the risk for complications associated with topical anesthetics. Medical conditions include: breastfeeding, pregnancy, infection by the place of application or broken skin by the place of application. You may not be able to use topical anesthetics with certain foods, alcohol or tobacco. Before you begin using this or any other medication, speak with your doctor or pharmacist about the risk for interactions.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What are side effects of benzodiazepines?
Dr. Gayatri Devi, MDDr. Gayatri Devi, MD
Benzodiazepines sedate your brain, so your thinking may not be as sharp, and your multitasking skill...
How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...