If I take oxandrolone (Oxandrin) will it harm my baby?

Yes. Because oxandrolone is made from testosterone, when it crosses the placenta to reach the fetus, it can cause a female fetus to develop masculine features and impair future fertility. Oxandrolone has been assigned to Pregnancy Category X by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that there is strong evidence that oxandrolone causes fetal harm if you take it during pregnancy. You should also refrain from nursing while taking this medicine.

You should consider preventing pregnancy through birth control or abstinence while taking this medicine.

Continue Learning about Anabolic Steroid

What are the side effects of anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids can cause a variety of side effects, some of which may be serious. Seek emerg...
Are steroids for asthma similar to the ones athletes take?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Parents are fearful of steroids because athletes give them a bad name. Let's get this perfectly ...
What should I know about the steroids used in asthma medication?
Dr. Deborah L. Neiman, MDDr. Deborah L. Neiman, MD
Azmacort is a medication called an inhaled corticosteroid—what it does is reduce the inflammation fr...
How will taking steroids for my asthma affect my sinusitis?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Sinusitis is a condition where the paradox of allergic inflammation applies, specifically that g...