Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?

If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment because of concern for your safety. ALS is a progressive disease that will affect your mobility, so your doctor will be concerned for your safety and will be interested in having a home safety assessment conducted.
Melanie Taylor, MD
Neurology
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment because the nature of ALS is such that the challenges of just normal day-to-day getting around become problematic. Doctors will go out to homes and assess how you're doing, assess the home environment and work with you just like a clinic visit, but the appointment is in the comfort of your own home. Doctors will look at the living environment, the sleeping environment, the bathing and showering environment and what the kitchen looks like. They want to assess the whole physical environment. They can then make some very specific recommendations.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

What does the word amyotrophic mean?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The word amyotrophic, when broken down, means muscle nourishment-with "myo" meaning muscle and "trop...
Why is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) called Lou Gehrig's disease?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In 1865, Jean-Martin Charcot, who is considered to be the father of neurology, described a person wi...
How is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Differential diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) sometimes requires a variety of tests ...
What causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The exact cause of ALS is not yet known, but researchers are constantly learning more about the dise...