Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?

If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment because the nature of ALS is such that the challenges of just normal day-to-day getting around become problematic. Doctors will go out to homes and assess how you're doing, assess the home environment and work with you just like a clinic visit, but the appointment is in the comfort of your own home. Doctors will look at the living environment, the sleeping environment, the bathing and showering environment and what the kitchen looks like. They want to assess the whole physical environment. They can then make some very specific recommendations.

If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment because of concern for your safety. ALS is a progressive disease that will affect your mobility, so your doctor will be concerned for your safety and will be interested in having a home safety assessment conducted.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis serious?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive and ultimately fatal disease. As motor neurons ...
What are the symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When the symptoms for ALS first begins, the symptoms are hard to notice. Some experience muscle stif...
What increases my risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
There are about 7,000 new cases of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease, dia...