What increases my risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) occurs most often in men between ages 40 and 70, with an average age of 55 at the time of diagnosis. Caucasian men are more at risk as well. Ten percent of cases are inherited; if one of your parents has ALS, there is a 50 percent chance that you will get it as well. Location is also a risk factor: the populations of Guam, West New Guinea and Japan get ALS more frequently than average. Finally, military service may increase the risk of getting ALS.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

what causes als ? what we know and don’t know
military a yotr veterans , though the reason for this is not phic lat ra sclero is als) is a deg understood . environmental factors ( such as exposu...
caregiving for someone with als
caregiving for someone with als
caregiving for someone with als (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis , also known as lou Gehrig disease ) can be demanding , and it often becomes more deman...
why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if i have als ?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
what is the prognosis for als ( lou Gehrig disease ) ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...