Why do I feel so sad about my limb loss?

Losing a limb may cause feelings of sadness at first. The physiological trauma of losing a limb is similar to what one experiences when diagnosed with a fatal disease. The person who loses a limb by amputation goes through the stages written about by Dr. Kubler-Ross in her book on the stages of dying.

You may experience denial, blame, anger, sorrow and finally acceptance. Each stage takes time. Some people pass quickly through the stages, while others may take days, weeks or perhaps months to reach acceptance. Of course, there are a few who never reach acceptance. If feelings of sadness overwhelm you, it’s best to talk to your VA doctor or make an appointment with a counselor for talk therapy.  

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

How do I preserve an amputated body part?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
I am so glad you asked this question; as a hand surgeon, I often see patients in the emergency room ...
Why was anesthesia such an important development for amputations?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When gaseous anesthesia was developed in the 1840s it gave doctors more time to perform meticulous a...
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?