What should I know about helping an adaptive diver with an amputation?

Mobility-impaired adaptive divers with amputations may need to spend extra time getting weighted properly to accommodate for asymmetrical body composition. This may also be true for individuals who have extremities that have atrophied due to lack of use. The time spent in the pool properly placing ankle weights or clip-on weights so that the mobility-impaired diver is trimmed out properly and comfortable in the water will be worth the effort and will make the dive more enjoyable and safer for everyone involved.

The end of an amputee’s appendage is often referred to as a stump and it is acceptable to call it a stump without worrying about offending the individual.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

How do I preserve an amputated body part?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
I am so glad you asked this question; as a hand surgeon, I often see patients in the emergency room ...
What are the treatment options before and after an amputation?
Before an amputation, doctors will try to save a damaged limb by using antibiotics to stop an infect...
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?