Am I at risk for infection with amputation and a prosthetic limb?

Yes, there is still some risk of infection with amputation and a prosthetic limb. Infection may occur when the prosthesis rubs against the stump and causes irritation, rash, blisters, pimples, abscesses or sores. Because the prosthesis socket is airtight and damp, it provides the perfect warm, moist environment for bacterial infections to grow and spread. Along with infection, there are complications that can arise from the amputation itself such as a hematoma (bruise), necrosis (death of skin flaps), a wound opening that does not heal, and contractures (a joint tightening or deformity). With early diagnosis, proper medical treatment and excellent home hygiene, you can avoid most serious problems that can occur with amputation and a prosthetic limb. 

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?
If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or...
When is an amputation considered the only treatment option?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
There are generally two groups of people who end up with amputations. In the first group are those w...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On