Which medications are useful before and after an amputation?

Many types of medications can be used to try to prevent an amputation. The type of medication depends upon the condition that may be leading to an amputation.

• People with infections may get antibiotics to stop the spread of the infection before it causes severe damage.
  • Cancer patients may receive chemotherapy, which can help kill cancer cells and even make an amputation more effective.
  • People with peripheral arterial disease, or PAD, may receive medications to control cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, or blood clots.
  • After an amputation, a doctor might prescribe antibiotics to stop an infection. Some patients may receive pain medication to deal with the discomfort caused by the procedure.

Continue Learning about Amputation as a Physical Disability

Should I talk to my doctor about the possibility of amputation?
If you have a serious injury that is affecting a limb, or if you are concerned that your diabetes or...
When is an amputation considered the only treatment option?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
There are generally two groups of people who end up with amputations. In the first group are those w...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On
Sharing Care: Life Rolls On