What is the rate of incidence for primary amenorrhea?

Primary amenorrhea is not a very common condition. Dysfunction in the hypothalmus, resulting in primary amenorrhea, has been seen in as many three percent of North American teenage girls, but the majority of those cases do resolve on their own without medical intervention.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What is amenorrhea?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women experience the absence of menstrual periods or extremely light periods; this is called am...
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Women can also stop having menstrual cycles on the birth control pills, this is called pill amenorrh...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
What causes amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Because menstruation is a necessary bodily function in women, amenorrhea is usually a symptom rather...