Should I see my doctor about my secondary amenorrhea symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you have had a regular menstrual cycle in the past but have missed your last three cycles, you should see your doctor about secondary amenorrhea. If your previous menstrual cycle had been irregular, meaning intermittent or hard to track on a calendar, and you have not had a period in 6 months or more, then contact your doctor about these symptoms.

Secondary amenorrhea is often caused by a treatable condition. When a sexually active woman misses her period for consecutive months, the most common cause is pregnancy. If you suspect you are pregnant, it is important to get proper prenatal care to ensure the health of you and your child. Other causes of secondary amenorrhea, such as hormonal imbalances and tumors on your pituitary gland, should be brought to the attention of your doctor so they may be treated as early as possible.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can be caused by a number of different conditions. Primary amenorrhea (when menstruation ...
Is it normal to not have a period for several months?
Darcy N. Bryan, MDDarcy N. Bryan, MD
Women who don't menstruate for several months are defined as having amenorrhea. In this video, Darcy...