Should I see my doctor about my secondary amenorrhea symptoms?

If you have had a regular menstrual cycle in the past but have missed your last three cycles, you should see your doctor about secondary amenorrhea. If your previous menstrual cycle had been irregular, meaning intermittent or hard to track on a calendar, and you have not had a period in 6 months or more, then contact your doctor about these symptoms.

Secondary amenorrhea is often caused by a treatable condition. When a sexually active woman misses her period for consecutive months, the most common cause is pregnancy. If you suspect you are pregnant, it is important to get proper prenatal care to ensure the health of you and your child. Other causes of secondary amenorrhea, such as hormonal imbalances and tumors on your pituitary gland, should be brought to the attention of your doctor so they may be treated as early as possible.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...
Are there medications to treat primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for primary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Primary ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
How is amenorrhea further classified?
Amenorrhea can be further classified into ovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is released) and anovula...