Should I see my doctor about my secondary amenorrhea symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Family Practitioner

If you have had a regular menstrual cycle in the past but have missed your last three cycles, you should see your doctor about secondary amenorrhea. If your previous menstrual cycle had been irregular, meaning intermittent or hard to track on a calendar, and you have not had a period in 6 months or more, then contact your doctor about these symptoms.

Secondary amenorrhea is often caused by a treatable condition. When a sexually active woman misses her period for consecutive months, the most common cause is pregnancy. If you suspect you are pregnant, it is important to get proper prenatal care to ensure the health of you and your child. Other causes of secondary amenorrhea, such as hormonal imbalances and tumors on your pituitary gland, should be brought to the attention of your doctor so they may be treated as early as possible.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
More Answers
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
More Answers
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Amenorrhea can be caused by a number of different conditions. Primary amenorrhea (when menstruation ...
More Answers
Is it normal to not have a period for several months?
Darcy N. Bryan, MDDarcy N. Bryan, MD
Women who don't menstruate for several months are defined as having amenorrhea. In this video, Darcy...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.