Should I see my doctor about my secondary amenorrhea symptoms?

If you have had a regular menstrual cycle in the past but have missed your last three cycles, you should see your doctor about secondary amenorrhea. If your previous menstrual cycle had been irregular, meaning intermittent or hard to track on a calendar, and you have not had a period in 6 months or more, then contact your doctor about these symptoms.

Secondary amenorrhea is often caused by a treatable condition. When a sexually active woman misses her period for consecutive months, the most common cause is pregnancy. If you suspect you are pregnant, it is important to get proper prenatal care to ensure the health of you and your child. Other causes of secondary amenorrhea, such as hormonal imbalances and tumors on your pituitary gland, should be brought to the attention of your doctor so they may be treated as early as possible.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Is amenorrhea serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most of the causes of amenorrhea are treatable with medication or healthy lifestyle changes, but ame...
How common is amenorrhea?
At any given time secondary amenorrhea occurs in less than five percent of women who have reached a ...
How does primary amenorrhea affect fertility?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea affects the body by making it extremely difficult for a woman to conceive. Primar...
How can surgery affect amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Other illnesses affect primary amenorrhea by creating hormone imbalances and nutrient absorption pro...