How is amenorrhea further classified?

Amenorrhea can be further classified into ovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is released) and anovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is not released). Most women are diagnosed with anovulatory amenorrhea because the release of an egg can be obstructed by a number of situations. Ovulatory amenorrhea usually occurs when a defective fertilized egg or its placenta create a tumor in the uterus. Amenorrhea can also be classified by the location of the problem in the reproductive system or the type of disorder causing it, including: autoimmune, hormonal, genetic, structural, or stress.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What increases my risk for secondary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The probability of secondary amenorrhea is increased by weight, stress, overexercising, certain medi...
Are there medications to treat primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for primary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Primary ...
What is primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary amenorrhea is when a girl 16 or older has not received her first period, also known as begin...
Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...