How is amenorrhea further classified?

Amenorrhea can be further classified into ovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is released) and anovulatory amenorrhea (when an egg is not released). Most women are diagnosed with anovulatory amenorrhea because the release of an egg can be obstructed by a number of situations. Ovulatory amenorrhea usually occurs when a defective fertilized egg or its placenta create a tumor in the uterus. Amenorrhea can also be classified by the location of the problem in the reproductive system or the type of disorder causing it, including: autoimmune, hormonal, genetic, structural, or stress.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...
Is it ever normal to experience amenorrhea?
Dr. Shelley C. Giebel, MDDr. Shelley C. Giebel, MD
Women can also stop having menstrual cycles on the birth control pills, this is called pill amenorrh...
How is amenorrhea treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of amenorrhea, a few medications can be prescribed to help resume regular men...
Can I get amenorrhea if I am not sexually active?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
You can get amenorrhea even if not sexually active. Secondary amenorrhea is when, after being regula...