How can stress cause amenorrhea?

Stress is a fairly common cause of short-term amenorrhea or fluctuations in the menstrual cycle. Stress can be caused by outside factors, excessive exercise, depression, or eating disorders. Intense mental stress can disrupt the normal process of your hypothalamus, which is located in your brain and controls the functions of the pituitary gland and menstruation. If the hypothalamus malfunctions, the pituitary gland decreases production of hormones that it sends to the ovaries to promote ovulation. This causes the ovaries to stop sending eggs through the fallopian tubes into the uterus, and menstruation stops. However, menstruation and ovulation can return to normal after stress levels decrease.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my primary amenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is being over 16 years of age and not ever having started men...
Are there medications to treat secondary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for secondary amenorrhea will vary based on the cause of the absent period. Second...
How common is amenorrhea?
At any given time secondary amenorrhea occurs in less than five percent of women who have reached a ...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...