Is a placebo response all in a person's mind?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The placebo response is not something that is just in a person’s mind. It is a powerful response that has and continues to be studied extensively. I was first introduced to the placebo effect in medical school.  One of my colleagues gave me an aspirin for my headache. He asked me how long it took to work and I told him about 10 minutes. He told me that it actually  takes 30 to 60 minutes to work. I was surprised and impressed that my headache resolved with just the act of taking the aspirin.

Studies at the University of Michigan found a similar response to those who received a pain stimulus and then given a placebo and told it would help with pain.  The brain’s pain relief system was observed to activate using a special brain scan.  

Although the placebo effect may start in the brain it is followed by physiologic responses in the rest of the body.  

Continue Learning about Alternative Medicine

Get Slimmer With This One Practice
Get Slimmer With This One Practice
How can you lose weight and keep it off in this over-caloric, fat-and-sugar-laden food culture? The same way you get to Carnegie Hall: practice, pract...
Is preventive medicine the same as alternative medicine?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Unlike preventive medicine, a more conventional medicine specialty, alternative medicine is not as s...
What are complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments?
For generations, people have been exploring a variety of approaches to treat the physical, emotional...
What Should I Consider When Using Alternative Medical Treatment?