How does aloe vera work?

Aloe vera contains a substance believed to inhibit the dilation of blood vessels and the contractions of smooth muscle. It also inhibits the body's production of thromboxane, a substance involved in blood clotting and blood vessel constriction that makes it more difficult for the body to heal burns. Aloe juice and aloe latex contain anthraquinone glycosides aloin A and B that produce a laxative effect. Other substances in aloe vera have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer properties, but more studies are needed.

Continue Learning about Aloe

Who should use aloe vera?
Topical aloe vera is intended for moisturizing the skin and healing skin infections, wounds, bur...
What is the maximum daily dosage of aloe vera?
Individuals wanting to use aloe vera should follow recommended dosing on package labeling. Talk to y...
What is aloe vera?
Tirzah Hawkins Tirzah Hawkins
Aloe Vera is a plant related to the cactus family. Its name is derived from the Arabic word “Alloeh”...
Should I let my doctor know if I'm taking aloe vera?
Herbs such as aloe vera are not strictly regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There a...