Allergies

Recently Answered

  • 1 Answer
    A
    A , Allergy & Immunology, answered
    There is no specific test to predict the likelihood of anaphylaxis, although testing may provide some guidance as to the severity of the allergy. Experts advise those who are susceptible to anaphylaxis to carry medication, such as injectable epinephrine, at all times, and to check the medicine's expiration date regularly.
  • 2 Answers
    A
    Most drug allergies don't require treatment because they result in mild reactions that will resolve by simply not taking the medicine anymore. In this case, you must work with the medical team in order to find an alternative treatment. More severe reactions may require medical or supportive therapy at a hospital.
    See All 2 Answers
  • 2 Answers
    A
    Anaphylaxis is caused by a severe allergic reaction that occurs after an exposure to a substance that a person's immune system has been sensitized to previously. The allergen causes the sensitized immune system to release histamine and other chemicals from different tissues in the body, which then causes the symptoms that occur. Common allergens include medications such as penicillin, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, fish, shellfish, milk, eggs, and insect stings from bees, yellow jackets, wasps, hornets, and fire ants. 
    See All 2 Answers
  • 1 Answer
    A

    Unexpected allergic reactions to drugs are rare, but symptoms can be severe, ranging from fever to skin rashes and hives, and anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction that includes swelling of the tongue and mouth, difficulty breathing, rapid heartbeat, a dramatic drop in blood pressure, unconsciousness, and possibly even death.

  • 2 Answers
    A
    During an anaphylactic reaction an allergic response occurs to the trigger that a person is exposed to, and a protein called histamine is released from different tissues in the body. This quickly causes the symptoms of anaphylaxis including hives, swelling, dilated blood vessels with a drop in blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. This is a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate medical attention. 
    See All 2 Answers
  • 1 Answer
    A
    A , Dermatology, answered

    Many medications can cause photosensitivity in some people. The photoreaction can mimic a sunburn or bring on an allergic reaction such as hives or a rash. Be sure to check with your pharmacist or doctor about what sun-related side effects your medications could give you. Antibiotics such as tetracycline and sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim), some diuretics and antihistamines (such as Benadryl), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Feldene, Naproxen, Motrin), and some antidepressants can be phototoxic after exposure to UV light. Researchers have found that taking these drugs also increases the risk of skin cancer if you are exposed to the sun. It's easier to control the use of topical products because they are not essential to maintaining your health. Retinoids such as Retin-A, any AHA, even facial scrubs - anything that exfoliates the top layer of your skin - will make you more vulnerable to the elements. You should probably stop using any of them one week before going on a beach vacation. If the stratum corneum doesn't have that dead keratinocyte barrier on top of it, you're setting the skin up for irritation by salt water, chlorine, wind, and most of all the sun.

  • 1 Answer
    A
    They should identify and avoid their allergens and carry medication to reverse the allergic reaction.

    People who have severe allergic reactions can also wear a medical identification (ID) tag, bracelet or necklace.
  • 3 Answers
    A
    Anaphylactic shock causes the sudden onset of severe symptoms that may involve different parts of the body. These symptoms can include hives, difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest tightness, diarrhea, light-headedness, palpitations, throat swelling, wheezing, nausea or vomiting, swelling of the eyes or face, and nasal congestion, anxiety, and pale color. 
    See All 3 Answers
  • 1 Answer
    A
    Anaphylaxis is a potentially life-threatening medical emergency requiring immediate help. 911 should be called immediately, as rapid treatment is essential in preventing further damage from the anaphylactic reaction. Treatment is highly effective especially if administered early. 
  • 1 Answer
    A
    First and foremost, removing the agent that is causing the reaction is key (e.g., bee stinger, medication or food). Anaphylaxis is typically treated with an "EpiPen," which is a dose of epinephrine that is delivered directly into the muscle. In the hospital, there are several other medications that can be used, including inhalers, IV fluids, steroids, and antihistamines.