What is the ideal humidity level in my home to avoid winter allergens?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When the fastidious folks at NASA studied home air quality, they found that it was five times worse than the air outside. This is why the air in your home is your final allergy-proofing frontier.

The ideal humidity level for your home is between 30 and 50 percent to ward off winter allergens. If you use a humidifier to ease the irritating effect dry winter air can have on your nose and throat, be careful you aren’t unintentionally creating the ideal environment for the spread of allergens. Excess moisture in the air encourages the growth of both mold and dust mites. A $10 humidity monitor can help track the moisture level in your home.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Allergies

6 Ways to Beat Spring Allergies
6 Ways to Beat Spring Allergies
There’s nothing like the warm, spring weather to make you want to step outside—but there’s also nothing like nasty pollen allergies to make you want t...
What problems can develop if I don't treat my allergies?
Allergies—if not well managed—can open the door to an entire host of other health problems, from sle...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How to Use Devices for Asthma and Allergies