What is the ideal humidity level in my home to avoid winter allergens?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When the fastidious folks at NASA studied home air quality, they found that it was five times worse than the air outside. This is why the air in your home is your final allergy-proofing frontier.

The ideal humidity level for your home is between 30 and 50 percent to ward off winter allergens. If you use a humidifier to ease the irritating effect dry winter air can have on your nose and throat, be careful you aren’t unintentionally creating the ideal environment for the spread of allergens. Excess moisture in the air encourages the growth of both mold and dust mites. A $10 humidity monitor can help track the moisture level in your home.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Allergies

How to Avoid the Most Common Fall Allergy Triggers
From late August until the first hard frost, 15 to 25 percent of people experience seasonal allergies, and the unrelenting coughing and sneezing that ...
What are allergies?
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA VirginiaRetreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA Virginia
Allergies, sometimes referred to as allergic rhinitis, are a very common health problem involving an...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?