What should I do if allergies are disturbing my sleep?

Allergies can make sleeping trouble worse because of the congestion they cause. About 40 percent of people with allergic rhinitis have trouble sleeping. Over-the-counter nasal strips and sprays help open up everything and clear up symptoms like headaches, watery eyes, runny nose, or new-onset snoring.

If you experience those symptoms and aren't aware of any allergies, search for the source in unexpected places. Some people have allergies to gluten (wheat, barley, oats), which can lead to congestion and increase insomnia, as can allergies to detergents and the cleaning products you use on your clothes or sheets.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...

Continue Learning about Allergies

7 Things an Allergist Wants You to Know About Spring Allergies
It’s that time of year again: the flowers are blooming and so are your spring allergy symptoms. If you’re like many people who suffer from this season...
Should I call 9-1-1 if someone is having an allergic reaction?
There are times when it is important to call 911 when someone is having an allergic reaction. If you...
How can I tell if someone has had severe allergic reactions before?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
People who know that they are severely allergic to certain substances or bee stings may wear a m...
What triggers a nickel allergy reaction?
Dr. Audrey G. Kunin, MDDr. Audrey G. Kunin, MD
Nickel sulfate may be a hidden treasure in your most commonly used products, creams and even medicat...