Could my environment make me more likely to develop allergies?

There's more to developing allergies than just heredity. The things that you become allergic to are also based on when you're exposed to a substance and how much of it you're exposed to.

Let's say, for example, that you have a tendency to be allergic to mold spores. You may have no allergy symptoms when you are living all alone in your spic 'n' span apartment complex. Then a new roommate moves in, bringing along a veritable jungle of houseplants, an smelly old mattress, and a humidifier (to keep her skin moist). Soon after her arrival, you become a symphony of snorts and sneezes. What happened? You'd endured a certain small amount of exposure to mold spores with no problem, but once the scales were tipped by the hefty onslaught of your roommate's mold-bearing possessions, your immune system kicked itself into high gear.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

What are common allergy triggers?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergens responsible for allergy vary from residence to residence and from region to region. For ex...
What allergens are common in schools?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Many allergens can be found in the school environment, for instance, right after school begins, ...
Are Allergies Inherited?
Are Allergies Inherited?
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?