Does alcoholism treatment work?

Anthony Beck
Addiction Medicine
Yes it works if the client really wants to make the changes needed. Sometimes a client is placed in treatment against their will and it can still be successful if the client becomes willing to change. 
Sheila Dunnells
Addiction Medicine
There is a belief among 12-Step members about getting healthy: if you work it (your program), it works. The particular program you choose is up to you: inpatient, outpatient, in-home, 12 Steps, therapy, etc. Nothing works if you just gather up the information and do nothing with it.

Getting sober requires commitment, dedication, perseverance and lots of support. One of the reasons I have always been very pro-12-Steps is because usually a therapist is available only once a week. But what do you do in between? Choose a program, get a sponsor, make friends with sober people, work a program and you will get healthy. Yes. Alcoholism treatment works.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Running back Ricky Williams gave up his 11-year NFL career, saying “Playing in the National Football League, you're told… where to be, when to be ther...
Whom can I contact to help me quit drinking?
If you are ready to quit drinking, contacting your primary care doctor is a great place to start to ...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older.
Why Charlie Sheen Supported Johnny Manziel