Why does my sex affect my hangover risk?

Women tend to suffer worse hangovers and may get them after drinking less alcohol than men. Women generally weigh less than men do, and fluid makes up a smaller proportion of a woman's body weight. Since women have less fluid in their bodies than men, there is less fluid around to dilute the alcohol that a woman consumes. These factors mean that women absorb alcohol faster than men, and as a result need less alcohol than men do to reach the same level of intoxication and may have more dramatic changes in their blood alcohol content, affecting the severity of a hangover.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Drunk driving is a crime. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated not only puts your life in danger, it puts the lives of innocent victims at risk....
Why are women more sensitive to the effects of alcohol than men?
Dr. Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDDr. Paul Hokemeyer, PhD
There are three key physical factors that make women more susceptible to alcohol related problems th...
How can I enjoy alcohol safely?
The best way to enjoy alcohol safely is to drink only in moderation. Recommendations are that women ...
Beer Is Good for Your Heart, Too!
Beer Is Good for Your Heart, Too!