Why does my sex affect my hangover risk?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Women tend to suffer worse hangovers and may get them after drinking less alcohol than men. Women generally weigh less than men do, and fluid makes up a smaller proportion of a woman's body weight. Since women have less fluid in their bodies than men, there is less fluid around to dilute the alcohol that a woman consumes. These factors mean that women absorb alcohol faster than men, and as a result need less alcohol than men do to reach the same level of intoxication and may have more dramatic changes in their blood alcohol content, affecting the severity of a hangover.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Alcoholics Anonymous Is the Best Way to Quit Drinking, Study Finds
Alcoholics Anonymous is the most effective path to achieving sobriety, according to a March 2020 review of studies published in the Cochrane Database ...
Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
Are You a Binge Drinker and Don't Know It?