Why should I avoid drinking alcohol at night?

It can be tempting to decompress at the end of the day with a drink or two. But if you’re worried about your bank account, the ups and downs of the stock market, or the security of your job, then drinking to combat these stressful circumstances is a bad idea. This kind of drinking can lead to dependence. Moreover, alcohol, though it may make you feel temporarily relaxed and sleepy, will actually undermine your sleep. Use exercise, meditation and time with friends and loved ones to provide yourself with relaxation and solace, not alcohol.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Truth About Hangovers
The Truth About Hangovers
From the ancient practice of downing a mixture of ground bird beak and myrrh, to concoctions of Worcestershire sauce, raw egg and red pepper, hangover...
How does alcohol consumption affect my risk for breast cancer?
Gaston Vergara, MDGaston Vergara, MD
We know that alcohol in general can increase the risk of most cancers, and alcohol has been associat...
How can alcohol affect sexual performance?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Some men with erectile dysfunction find that having one drink can help them relax, but heavy use of ...
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?