What increases my risk for hangovers?

Drinking alcoholic beverages high in congeners (compounds in drinks that give them their flavor) puts you at a higher risk for developing a hangover the next day. These drinks are generally darker in color (e.g., dark beers, red wine, bourbons), but excessive consumption of paler alcohols can cause a hangover too. Adding other drugs (like nicotine) to your body will increase the risk of a hangover, as will drinking without eating. A high level of physical activity while drinking and lack of sleep afterwards may contribute to the development or worsening of your hangover. Being ill and having a family history of alcoholism are also risk factors for a hangover after drinking.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

How Much Wine Is Too Much?
How Much Wine Is Too Much?
Reaching for a glass of wine at the end of the day? You’re not alone. According to the Wine Institute, Americans drank 949 million gallons of wine in ...
How can alcohol affect someone who is depressed?
In low doses, alcohol produces a feeling of relaxation and well-being, makes people more interactive...
Should I eat before going out for drinks?
Keri GansKeri Gans
You should eat a meal before you go for drinks. If it is an early night, eat a snack. Without a meal...
Why Craft Beer Is Better
Why Craft Beer Is Better