How can I lower my risk of a hangover by choosing wisely when drinking?

Certain alcoholic beverages contain more hangover-causing congeners than others. For example, red wine, dark beer, whiskey, high-alcohol beer, tequila, scotch, and brandy are high in congeners. Lower congener choices include gin, light rum, and vodka. Drinking alcohol lower in congeners may reduce the incidence and severity of hangovers, but remember that drinking enough of any alcohol can make you regret it the next day.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Happens During a Blackout?
What Happens During a Blackout?
At the height of rush hour at 5:28pm on November 9, 1965, 30 million people in about a half-dozen states including New York and two Canadian provinces...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Are drivers with a DWI conviction likely to drink and drive again?
Drivers with previous driving while impaired (DWI) convictions pose a substantial risk of offending ...
Are You a Binge Drinker and Don't Know It?