How can I lower my risk of a hangover by choosing wisely when drinking?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Certain alcoholic beverages contain more hangover-causing congeners than others. For example, red wine, dark beer, whiskey, high-alcohol beer, tequila, scotch, and brandy are high in congeners. Lower congener choices include gin, light rum, and vodka. Drinking alcohol lower in congeners may reduce the incidence and severity of hangovers, but remember that drinking enough of any alcohol can make you regret it the next day.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Drunk driving is a crime. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated not only puts your life in danger, it puts the lives of innocent victims at risk....
Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood