How can I lower my risk of a hangover by choosing wisely when drinking?

Certain alcoholic beverages contain more hangover-causing congeners than others. For example, red wine, dark beer, whiskey, high-alcohol beer, tequila, scotch, and brandy are high in congeners. Lower congener choices include gin, light rum, and vodka. Drinking alcohol lower in congeners may reduce the incidence and severity of hangovers, but remember that drinking enough of any alcohol can make you regret it the next day.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

How Much Wine Is Too Much?
How Much Wine Is Too Much?
Reaching for a glass of wine at the end of the day? You’re not alone. According to the Wine Institute, Americans drank 949 million gallons of wine in ...
What can states do to help prevent drinking and driving?
To help prevent drunk driving, states can enforce 0.08% blood alcohol concentration and minimum lega...
What are some health concerns involved with the use of powdered alcohol?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
The use of powdered alcohol is concerning because we don't know exactly what compounds are in it, so...
Does Alcohol at Bedtime Affect Men and Women in the Same Way?