Do hangovers indicate that I have a problem with alcohol?

If you frequently experience hangovers, it may be a sign that you drink in excess too often. Consider taking your concerns about your drinking to a doctor or mental health counselor if you feel like your drinking is controlling your life. You may not be an alcoholic, but talking to a professional can help you avoid complications of excessive alcohol consumption such as heart disease, pancreatitis, and stroke. If your family or friends express concern over the amount you drink or the frequency of your hangovers, this may be a sign that your alcohol consumption is worth taking a look at.

Sheila Dunnells
Addiction Medicine
Ask yourself this simple question: Did I drink more than I intended to drink? Very often promising oneself that you can stop drinking after a few drinks, and then find you can't, is an indication that you may have a problem with alcohol. Hangovers are another red flag. Did you set out to drink too much- thus the hangover? Why?

And/or, did you set out to drink mderately and then drank more than you intended-- thus the hangover?

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
How can I enjoy alcohol safely?
The best way to enjoy alcohol safely is to drink only in moderation. Recommendations are that women ...
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
Feeling down, tired or broke after having a few drinks? Learn to recognize the not-so-obvious ways that alcohol can affect your overall quality of lif...
Is Binge Drinking Serious?
Is Binge Drinking Serious?