Do hangovers indicate that I have a problem with alcohol?

Sheila Dunnells
Addiction Medicine
Ask yourself this simple question: Did I drink more than I intended to drink? Very often promising oneself that you can stop drinking after a few drinks, and then find you can't, is an indication that you may have a problem with alcohol. Hangovers are another red flag. Did you set out to drink too much- thus the hangover? Why?

And/or, did you set out to drink mderately and then drank more than you intended-- thus the hangover?

If you frequently experience hangovers, it may be a sign that you drink in excess too often. Consider taking your concerns about your drinking to a doctor or mental health counselor if you feel like your drinking is controlling your life. You may not be an alcoholic, but talking to a professional can help you avoid complications of excessive alcohol consumption such as heart disease, pancreatitis, and stroke. If your family or friends express concern over the amount you drink or the frequency of your hangovers, this may be a sign that your alcohol consumption is worth taking a look at.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What’s the Healthiest Drinking Age?
What’s the Healthiest Drinking Age?
In The Hangover (2008), Zach Galifianakis (Alan), Bradley Cooper (Phil) and Justin Bartha (Doug) prove the point that researchers from Boston Universi...
How much alcohol should I drink daily to help my heart?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Dozens of studies have suggested that moderate consumption of alcohol reduces the risk for heart...
How can law enforcement help prevent drunk driving?
At sobriety checkpoints, police stop drivers to judge if they are driving under the influence of alc...
How Does Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol Affect the Body?