What foods should I eat when I have a hangover?

In the morning when you wake up bland foods such as crackers and toast will help settle an upset stomach. Salty soup will help replace salt stores, which are lost with the frequent urination caused by excessive drinking. A banana can improve potassium levels, as can a kiwi or an electrolyte-rich sports drink. Eggs are my secret hangover cure. They not only provide energy, but they contain cysteine, the substance that breaks down a hangover-causing toxin, acetaldehyde, into the liver's easily depleted glutathione. Mopping up an egg yolk can help your body mop up left-over toxins.

Rose Reisman
You have to have just one “hangover” to know you don’t want to have that feeling ever again. Some of us can drink more than others with no ill effects, but most of us wake up with a pounding headache, upset stomach and extreme thirst, where nothing can quench it.

We tend to have our individual solutions ranging from eating basic crackers to inhaling every starchy carbohydrate you can get your hands on!

There are many foods that claim to be “hangover solutions”, but many are completely bogus. The classic solutions include Egg Muffins, Macaroni and Cheese, Pizza, Chinese food, crackers and bananas.

But other foods you may not have thought include the following:
  • Asparagus eaten just before you drink or with your meal may prevent a hangover. It’s enzymes help to break down alcohol
  • Rum, vodka and gin have lower hangover effects than brandy, champagne, bourbon, red wine or cognac
  • Drink water in between alcohol and the next morning try clear broth to replace the salt and potassium lost through drinking
  • Organic eggs help replenish your body with B vitamins lost from alcohol.
  • Honey has antioxidants and concentrated fructose that flushes out alcohol quickly.
  • Quinoa has amino acids which are depleted through alcohol
Or next time, just drink less
Daphne Oz
Health Education

When you have a hangover, it's important to rehydrate with fluids and electrolytes, and eat foods that will replenish missing nutrients. Watch as health educator and author Daphne Oz discusses how to nurse a hangover, plus tips on what to eat.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or glass of wine, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in...
How does alcohol affect my heart?
A daily glass or two of red wine or other alcoholic beverage may help lower your risk for cardiovasc...
How can ignition interlocks help prevent drunk driving?
Ignition interlocks prevent drivers who were convicted of alcohol-impaired driving from operating th...
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?