What foods should I eat when I have a hangover?

In the morning when you wake up bland foods such as crackers and toast will help settle an upset stomach. Salty soup will help replace salt stores, which are lost with the frequent urination caused by excessive drinking. A banana can improve potassium levels, as can a kiwi or an electrolyte-rich sports drink. Eggs are my secret hangover cure. They not only provide energy, but they contain cysteine, the substance that breaks down a hangover-causing toxin, acetaldehyde, into the liver's easily depleted glutathione. Mopping up an egg yolk can help your body mop up left-over toxins.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Health Benefits of Giving up Alcohol for One Month a Year
Dean Martin and Foster Brooks had successful Las Vegas nightclub careers based on characters who were fun-loving drunks. Once people sobered up and re...
The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood
How Does Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol Affect the Body?