What foods should I eat when I have a hangover?

Daphne Oz
Health Education

When you have a hangover, it's important to rehydrate with fluids and electrolytes, and eat foods that will replenish missing nutrients. Watch as health educator and author Daphne Oz discusses how to nurse a hangover, plus tips on what to eat.

Rose Reisman
You have to have just one “hangover” to know you don’t want to have that feeling ever again. Some of us can drink more than others with no ill effects, but most of us wake up with a pounding headache, upset stomach and extreme thirst, where nothing can quench it.

We tend to have our individual solutions ranging from eating basic crackers to inhaling every starchy carbohydrate you can get your hands on!

There are many foods that claim to be “hangover solutions”, but many are completely bogus. The classic solutions include Egg Muffins, Macaroni and Cheese, Pizza, Chinese food, crackers and bananas.

But other foods you may not have thought include the following:
  • Asparagus eaten just before you drink or with your meal may prevent a hangover. It’s enzymes help to break down alcohol
  • Rum, vodka and gin have lower hangover effects than brandy, champagne, bourbon, red wine or cognac
  • Drink water in between alcohol and the next morning try clear broth to replace the salt and potassium lost through drinking
  • Organic eggs help replenish your body with B vitamins lost from alcohol.
  • Honey has antioxidants and concentrated fructose that flushes out alcohol quickly.
  • Quinoa has amino acids which are depleted through alcohol
Or next time, just drink less

In the morning when you wake up bland foods such as crackers and toast will help settle an upset stomach. Salty soup will help replace salt stores, which are lost with the frequent urination caused by excessive drinking. A banana can improve potassium levels, as can a kiwi or an electrolyte-rich sports drink. Eggs are my secret hangover cure. They not only provide energy, but they contain cysteine, the substance that breaks down a hangover-causing toxin, acetaldehyde, into the liver's easily depleted glutathione. Mopping up an egg yolk can help your body mop up left-over toxins.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Really Happens to Your Body When You Drink
Whether it’s a pint of beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the end of a long day, we often think of alcohol as a good thing. Drinking relaxes us. It...
Is it safe to drink alcohol?
Alcohol has health benefits if consumed in moderation, but can be very harmful if used to excess...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Are You a Binge Drinker and Don't Know It?