Should I drink in moderation to protect my heart?

Randolph P. Martin, MD
Modest to low intake of alcohol on a regular basis has been known to decrease your chance of a heart attack and even dying of a heart attack. Watch my video to learn more on how to protect your heart.

Despite some studies that have shown that alcohol can be beneficial in reducing the risks of heart disease, the American Heart Association does not recognize drinking alcohol as a legitimate heart-healthy activity.

There also are potential downsides associated with drinking alcohol, including alcoholism, liver disease, obesity, cancer and even heart disease.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
Between dark or light alcohol, which is healthier for me?
Drinking in moderation can actually be healthy for you because it decreases risk of cardiovascul...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood
Light Drinking May Lift Your Mood