Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?

If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-release tablets. While the tablets, used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), isn't approved for younger kids, those between the ages of 6 and 12 years can take the recommended dosage of 4 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours; the maximum dosage for children this age is 12 mg twice a day. If your child is older than 12, the recommended dosage is 8 mg every 12 hours, and the maximum dosage is 16 mg twice a day.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What are the side effects of albuterol tablets?
In rare cases, albuterol extended-release tablets may cause a severe allergic reaction that lead...
What should I know about albuterol sulfate before taking it?
Before taking albuterol sulfate, you should know about some of the risks associated with it. Albuter...
Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?
If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albutero...