Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?

If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-release tablets. While the tablets, used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), isn't approved for younger kids, those between the ages of 6 and 12 years can take the recommended dosage of 4 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours; the maximum dosage for children this age is 12 mg twice a day. If your child is older than 12, the recommended dosage is 8 mg every 12 hours, and the maximum dosage is 16 mg twice a day.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

How does albuterol help treat asthma?
Asthma is a condition in which the airways in your lungs get narrow, swell up, produce excess mucus ...
Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?
If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albutero...
Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol?
If your doctor prescribes albuterol for you, it would be to treat a lung condition such as asthm...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...