Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?

If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-release tablets. While the tablets, used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), isn't approved for younger kids, those between the ages of 6 and 12 years can take the recommended dosage of 4 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours; the maximum dosage for children this age is 12 mg twice a day. If your child is older than 12, the recommended dosage is 8 mg every 12 hours, and the maximum dosage is 16 mg twice a day.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Are there any risks to taking albuterol extended-release tablets?
The most common minor side effects of albuterol extended-release tablets are nervousness, tremor...
How does albuterol sulfate interact with other medications?
Albuterol sulfate may interact with other medications, so it's important to tell your doctor abo...
What happens if I miss a dose of albuterol?
If you miss a dose of albuterol, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it, and take remai...
Can I take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm nursing?
It isn't known if extended-release albuterol passes into breast milk. Because this asthma drug h...