How should I take albuterol sulfate?

How you take albuterol, a drug used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, depends on the formulation your doctor has prescribed. All forms of albuterol are taken by mouth, and include tablets, syrups and inhaled versions. Each has different dosing schedules, as follows:
  • regular tablets and syrup -- 3 to 4 times a day
  • extended-release tablets -- every 12 hours
  • inhaled albuterol -- every 4 to 6 hours, as needed
When you are prescribed albuterol, follow your doctor's instructions exactly and ask about anything you don't understand.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?
If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albutero...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...
How does albuterol treat hyperkalemia?
Albuterol lowers the elevated potassium levels in the bloodstream that characterize hyperkalemia...
How does albuterol treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs, us...