Could I have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist
It's possible to have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup or to other ingredients in this asthma medicine. Signs of an allergy include: hives, a rash, a pounding or irregular heartbeat, swelling of the mouth and throat, tightness in the chest, and trouble breathing. In rare cases, children taking albuterol syrup have developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which causes fever, itchiness and aching joints. If you experience any unusual symptoms while taking albuterol syrup, call your doctor or get medical help immediately.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe to take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm pregnant?
Studies have found that albuterol extended-release tablets can cause birth defects in animals, b...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...
Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?
It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions suc...
Is Albuterol safe for pregnant or breast feeding women?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
Albuterol is a category "C" medication which means some animal studies have indicated a possible pro...