Are there any risks to taking albuterol extended-release tablets?

The most common minor side effects of albuterol extended-release tablets are nervousness, tremors and headaches. In some cases, however, this medicine, which is used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), can bring on an unusual reaction: Instead of relaxing and opening airways, it can cause them to suddenly tighten and constrict.

Other serious side effects of albuterol include chest pain, a rapid heartbeat and allergy symptoms such as itching, hives, rash, or swelling of arms and legs. If you experience any of these symptoms while taking albuterol extended-release tablets, contact your doctor or get immediate medical help.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

How should I take albuterol sulfate?
How you take albuterol, a drug used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, d...
Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol?
If your doctor prescribes albuterol for you, it would be to treat a lung condition such as asthm...
What should I avoid while taking Albuterol?
You may need to avoid certain prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs while taking a...
If I am pregnant, is it safe to use albuterol?
Little is known about the effects of albuterol during pregnancy. But there's no question that th...