How can surgery treat AIDS-related cancers?

Surgery is one possible treatment for AIDS-related cancers, including cervical cancer and anal cancer. A doctor may use surgery to remove a tumor. If the cancer has spread, you may need surgery to remove the surrounding tissue. For example, in some cases of anal cancer, the surgeon may need to remove part of the colon, rectum, and anal canal and attach a colostomy bag to collect waste.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

How do I manage my AIDS-related cancer on a daily basis?
Managing AIDS-related cancer means treating both the cancer and the HIV (human immunodeficiency viru...
How can my white blood cell count affect my AIDS-related cancer treatment?
For people with AIDS-related cancers, a low white blood cell count could affect treatment. For examp...
How do other illnesses affect AIDS-related cancers?
People with AIDS-related cancer are still vulnerable to other infections that prey upon people with ...
How do medications treat AIDS-related cancers?
Chemotherapy drugs may be used to treat some AIDS-related cancers, including lymphomas, cervical can...